Reply To: Historical weapons

Homepage Forums History Historical weapons Reply To: Historical weapons

Thaeris
Participant

This is not strictly historical, but I doubt you’d get any complaints regarding function if you had to take it back in time with you:

Custom Spear

…I also assume you could find something like this at the MET, or at least on their website. What is so neat about this particular reproduction is the complex construction. The spear not only has a socket, but langets to keep everything together as well. The parrying hooks are dull at the front – which would help with parrying, and also would help to prevent over-penetration. Against an armored man, that may not be much of an issue, but an unbarded horse might not be a target you’d want to get your primary weapon lodged too deeply into. In contrast, the hooks are sharpened to the rear and pose a nasty threat to the often unprotected areas at the back of a leg. The overall grind on the hooks also make for a wicked spike if the spear was to be swung rather than thrust with…

…The butt of the spear is provisioned with a wicked triangular, hollow-ground cap. And while this is impressive, there is one thing you may have not noticed: the shaft is hexagonal. Hex shapes are very ergonomic: take your hand and imagine you are gripping something while looking through the opening – notice anything about the shape? While octagons may look cool and work well, I am fully convinced that hexes are better for a tight grip. The only thing the spear above really needs is a bit more of a radius on the corners of the shaft, and you’d have something approaching what might be the ultimate spear: strength, edge alignment control, and utility for just about every occasion. The weapon above can almost double as a pollaxe, and if you were in an unarmored duel, it would be a superior choice to the pollaxe.