1,000-year-old onion and garlic eye remedy kills MRSA

Homepage Forums Magic 1,000-year-old onion and garlic eye remedy kills MRSA

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JoseFreitas
    Participant

You might find this interesting! 🙂

Medieval medicinal recipes were like, “yeah, take cropleek, garlic, stolen wine, bullocks gall, let stand for 9 days in a steel cauldron” and that actually killed 90% of staph infections and is more effective than half the antibacterials we’ve come up with since!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-32117815
    They found the remedy killed up to 90% of MRSA bacteria and believe it is the effect of the recipe rather than one single ingredient.

Dr Freya Harrison said the team thought the eye salve might show a “small amount of antibiotic activity”.

“But we were absolutely blown away by just how effective the combination of ingredients was,” she said.

Equal amounts of garlic and another allium (onion or leek), finely chopped and crushed in a mortar for two minutes.

Add 25ml (0.87 fl oz) of English wine – taken from a historic vineyard near Glastonbury.

Dissolve bovine salts in distilled water, add and then keep chilled for nine days at 4C.

JoseFreitas
    Participant

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-69273-8

This part is amazing:

“…believe it is the effect of the recipe rather than one single ingredient…”
    “She said this could suggest people were carrying out detailed scientific studies centuries before bacteria were discovered.”

Hahahahaha!! No shit, Sherlock!

Hans Hellinger

Yes! I love this one. Bald’s Eye-salve. I think it’s just the tip of the iceburg. For example, most medical historians and physicians will tell you that washing your hands before surgery, sterilizing instruments etc. was invented in the 19th Century (and the inventors were ridiculed and ostracized before it caught on). This is true, but PRIOR to the 19th Century, they did know this. Galen, Avicenna and Hyporcrites all said to wash hands before and after touching any wound, to boil instruments, to clean wounds with distilled vinegar, to use gold, silver and brass instruments where possible, etc. This was ditched in the 18th and early 19th Century because it was believed to be superstition! (which in a way it was, because they didn’t know about germ theory obviously).

I have personally seen at least a dozen kreuterbĂĽcher, German ‘cabbage books’ which include plant and herb drawings and descriptions of their properties as well as how to make medicines and drugs from them (lots of moonshining but how to make tinctures etc.) which are sitting in archives and have never been translated or even transcribed yet.

Incidentally I have Bald’s Eye-salve in the Codex rules. It’s in Codex Superno! Also in the market-tables in players guide and a couple of the adventure books.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.