Codex Adventum: Road to Monsterberg Beta Test

Homepage Forums Gaming Gaming Night Codex Adventum: Road to Monsterberg Beta Test

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Hans Hellinger

This is where all five of our Beta groups will chime in on the progress of their campaigns.

JackG
    Participant

Ok so first session done and dusted.

I’m playing with 4 PCs who are fairly experienced with RPGs and two of them know 3.5 a bit. I ran the game over roll20, if you want access to my roll20 server where I prepped things just tell me. Might make things a bit easier and I’ll be adding the materials I missed in the previous session to the roll20. Hopefully by the end I’ll have a full roll20 version of the campaign book.

It went really well and the guys jumped into it. They were a bit confused what languages could be used at what time. They also decided to get themselves hired as bodyguards for a merchant caravan which I went along with as it was a really logical idea. With some good rolling they got hired. They were really good about gathering info and following their backgrounds. I think the background really helped them spread out.

I tried to get one of the PCs into a fight in the marketplace but they just moved. I solved it by having one of the mercs in the tavern knew them from Hungary and had a beef with them. One of the players immediately filled in that it was over a card game.

One of the players tried to bluff their way into taking over the duel as they also had a longsword (I used the halberdier NPC as the antagonist).

Takeaways for me.
    – Give prices in Gulden and Kreuzers
    – Prep your antagonist profile and write down their feats in a separate document
    – Have your players make up a document compiling all their feats that they can add to their character sheet.
    – Give the players moments to ask them what they want to do

We will be uploading our recording of the session soon so you can watch the session.

If you want to use the roll20 tell me

Hans Hellinger

Thanks Jack, that is great! Can you describe the duel in some detail?

JackG
    Participant

Two rounds,
    Szabla vs. Longsword. First round everybody whiffed their attacks. Then Paul rolled a twenty on an active defense. He then used point control to roll 2+1 attacks and rolled a natural 20

JackG
    Participant

I have now updated the roll20 with some of the things I found myself wishing I would have added

1. price lists from the markets out of the book
    2. The rumor table
    3. The duelling laws
    4. The players introduction
    5. The profile of the Duellist and his martial feats
    6. Prices of Meals at the tavern
    7. Art for the different locations

If you want to use the roll20 use the link and make a free profile, I can then add you as DM
    https://app.roll20.net/join/9735360/cc8jzA

JackG
    Participant

Here’s a recording of the session we did

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v1aUOrkzpGCJBygrcTkIBGWneq6eLFj-/view?usp=sharing

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by JackG.
    Hans Hellinger

Awesome, thanks Jack!

zarlor
    Participant

Jack,

If you’re running that on Roll20 what character sheet (if any) did you use> Any macros set up for handling CM dice rolls?

JackG
    Participant

We are using the 3.5 sheets that roll20 has, Sam setup a few macros for codex after that session. They work pretty well.
    Sam did have to manually enter stats into the character sheet though.
    I can give you GM access.

Hans Hellinger

Yeah Lenny I forgot to tell you about these guys making a partial Roll20 hack for Codex, I remember you had been nudging me in that direction years ago…

zarlor
    Participant

Yeah, especially with COVID telegaming has really taken off. Heck even for our tabletop games I still use things like Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds to manage character sheets and as an easy way to do rolls. I haven’t done any real programming work with it, though (although Jude has been playing around a lot more with Roll20 macros). I’m in the game now and will look around. Thanks!

zarlor
    Participant

And you didn’t mention it here, but the guys in that game were a little thrown by referencing the size of the area they were in as being twice the size of “New Jersey”. Even to me it sounded like an odd comparison. Maybe compare things that folks on both sides of the pond could understand easily enough, like comparing to the island of Great Britain or some other modern European country. I think even Americans (especially those interested in this game) will be able to understand a Euro-centric reference easily enough.

As was mentioned about the costs, if that’s written in the scenario about Marks but all of the characters are carrying Gulden, then you may need to make sure a table for exchange rates would be handy. And while it gives a sense of having different monies to deal with I’m not sure it’s something most players are really going to want to deal with that often. It might get in the way of the role-play if it’s too cumbersome or comes up too often.

Beyond that you need to check out some of the RPG groups on Twitch, maybe even get one of them to run either a single-session game or maybe even a multi-show mini-campaign. Not sure the best way to try to do that, though. Still, having it recorded is pretty cool and made me think of getting one of the well-known groups to run something like this. A group like that might even help out with setting up some Codex specific stuff for Roll20. So thanks for sharing, Jack!

zarlor
    Participant

Oh, and “Gene” Chandler just sounds so…. wrong 😀

JackG
    Participant

Yeah mea culpa in the jean thing,
    My plan is to do this play through for experience and record a second play through for marketing. Possibly with a roll20 adventure that you can buy.

Hans Hellinger

And you didn’t mention it here, but the guys in that game were a little thrown by referencing the size of the area they were in as being twice the size of “New Jersey”. Even to me it sounded like an odd comparison. Maybe compare things that folks on both sides of the pond could understand easily enough, like comparing to the island of Great Britain or some other modern European country. I think even Americans (especially those interested in this game) will be able to understand a Euro-centric reference easily enough.

Well, this is why we do playtesting! To find out these little things I would have never thought of that can unexpectedly throw people off. I have already amended that infamous remark to now also include Wales as a point of comparison, which is coincidentally about the same size in square miles as New Jersey, and about half the size of Silesia.

As was mentioned about the costs, if that’s written in the scenario about Marks but all of the characters are carrying Gulden, then you may need to make sure a table for exchange rates would be handy. And while it gives a sense of having different monies to deal with I’m not sure it’s something most players are really going to want to deal with that often. It might get in the way of the role-play if it’s too cumbersome or comes up too often.

There is exactly such a chart in the book. I have emphasized to Jack and his guys, it’s the sort of thing you might want to print out. There is also the option to just convert everything to “gold pieces”, “silver pieces” and “bronze pieces” if the money is too confusing.

Beyond that you need to check out some of the RPG groups on Twitch, maybe even get one of them to run either a single-session game or maybe even a multi-show mini-campaign. Not sure the best way to try to do that, though. Still, having it recorded is pretty cool and made me think of getting one of the well-known groups to run something like this. A group like that might even help out with setting up some Codex specific stuff for Roll20. So thanks for sharing, Jack!

We hope to record a few game sessions, in fact I need to give them feedback on their last session which I think I will do here right after I finish this post!

By the way Lenny, your Beta test game should be starting soonish. Due to Charles’ lack of a functional computer, I sent him printed copies of all the Codex rule books which should arrive by this weekend I believe (except the Monsterberg book itself, which isn’t set up for printing yet unfortunately)

Once Charles has the books and is able to read them a bit I expect he’ll be beginning your game, assuming there is room in the busy gaming schedule. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.