[Computer] Gaming Thread

Homepage Forums Codex Integrum Abbey Pub [Computer] Gaming Thread

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Thaeris
    Participant

A fun thread in which to discuss relevant computer games. Relevancy is relative, of course. 😀

…I’ve never actually seen the original Prince of Persia played before – I’m actually really impressed! For something from 1990, everything is remarkably smooth and fluid, and the details are very nice as well.

What is of particular note is the wonderful Errol Flynn-style swordfights! Nothing seems cheezy or wrong about them (aside from Arabs using smallswords, which is a bit out of context), and even more so, there is something you can rationally glean from them pertaining to actual combat. Namely, you must have control of timing, distance, and position in order to be successful. It’s really cool, and they don’t make platformers like that anymore, do they?

Hans Hellinger

Can you give me a time stamp where the sword fight starts so I can fast forward?

Thaeris
    Participant

Fights start just 3-and-something minutes in, so you don’t have to wait long, but some of the better fights start around 14 minutes in. Go to 16:30 for some classic position error action. 😀

Also, go to 23:50 if your industrial metal band (and who doesn’t have one of those?) needs a sweet new sound sample. 🙂

Thaeris
    Participant

Also, this was a related video that popped up – it’s a neat watch by itself, but it also explains why the swordfights seemed so much like those in an Errol Flynn movie:

Go to 15:00… It’s because the sword animations are actually from an Errol Flynn movie! Fight animations were actually rotoscoped, or the equivalent thereof, from 1938’s Robin Hood. The only thing I wish would have been better covered in the presentation was how they balanced the fight mechanics. Seems simple enough, but there’s certainly a bit more finesse in there than one may think.

Hans Hellinger

Yeah, finally watched it, they look a lot better than in most modern video games, I agree. We can thank Bob Anderson I guess…

Hans Hellinger

My question would be, though the fencing looks plausible, does the game actually give you enough control to simulate anything even vaguely resembling a real fight?

Thaeris
    Participant

Well… I don’t know. I think it would be easy enough to find a copy of the game on an abandonware site and fire it up on DOSbox, but I do not have any current plans for that. However, if you intend to test the quality of the fencing, that would be the means by which you would do it.

zarlor
    Participant

A bit of thread necromancy here, but I remember playing the original PoP way back when it came out and the movement and gameplay for the time was really quite phenomenal. I was blown away by it, to be honest. As for resembling a real fight, though… I don’t remember if it had parrying, but I think it might have. If it did it was really no different than what it was in Pirates, if you ever played that game. Probably less so, actually, since if I remember right in Pirates you set a high, mid or low guard and could attack to high, mid or low as well, in Pirates did have a small variety of weapons with different characteristics.

I think in PoP there was no real control over the strikes or how you did blocking or anything, this was still the joystick days, after all, usually with just one (or MAYBE 2 buttons) and the one control stick, so options are pretty limited. Still I remember it being a pretty fun game, but the fighting in it was definitely simplistic (and who would have expected anything more back then anyway?)

Hans Hellinger
    Thaeris
    Participant

Since I’m no longer a Windows user at large, I’m not going to bite on Hellish Quart unless a Linux version pops out. However, I do wonder about this:

Do you think the game is going to be a bit like the old Soul Caliber games, but with a historical premise rather than a fanciful one? Looking at the trailer again, many of the characters seem to be tied to a specific weapon, along with their outfit. It’s actually a rather interesting thing to consider: a game a bit like the old-fashioned weapons-based fighting games with specific characters, but with actual historic flavor. If that’s the concept, it’s pretty cool. It’s definitely different, and it might be really attractive to a fairly broad audience.

Hans Hellinger

Yeah I think it’s already got some traction with HEMA folks. It reminds me of a 3D nice graphics version of the old game ‘Swashbuckler’

Also kind of shares DNA with Mount and Blade and also Kingdom Come Deliverance I’d say….

zarlor
    Participant

Yeah, that’s on my Steam Wishlist and it is out now in Early Access. While the fighting looks good it just seems like a really nice form of side-view fighter, you know like playing Street Fighter or something (although at least this seems based on real fencing technique). Still that kind of game is, for me, only interesting for maybe a very little bit then I tend to tire of it pretty quickly, so… At least something like Kingdom Come Deliverance was a full RPG and that is more my style (and I enjoyed KCD, I might add).

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by zarlor.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.