Keeping Dice In Reserve when You Have Initiative

Homepage Forums Gaming Codex Martialis Rules The Martial Pool Keeping Dice In Reserve when You Have Initiative

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    DrakeTungsten
    Participant

I’m not quite clear on the rules and the tactics of not using all of your martial dice when you have initiative.

Tactically-speaking, I do understand that you might want to save one or more dice for defense, but is that the only reason you would not use all of your MD for offense when it’s your turn to attack? I don’t see a point in holding onto any MD in case you get an opportunity attack or counter-attack when your opponent takes his turn – if you wanted those MD to be used for an attack, then you could have just done that on your turn.

Rules-wise, there is a line in the rules (I can’t find it now, but I’m pretty sure it’s there) that implies that if you still have any MD left after both you and your opponent have taken your turns, then you can still use those in this round for another attack. Am I remembering and inferring correctly? And if so, does this apply to both combatants, or just to whoever won initiative?

Jean Chandler
    Keymaster

So first, yes you can hold on to your Martial Pool, and if you still have them at the end of the round you can then use them for an attack.

Saving MP is a good idea especially in an even fight or when you are outnumbered. You may want them for Active Defense, which is the most common thing, for Opportunity Attacks for example if someone tries to go into grapple with you, and for other things like say, drawing another weapon, changing ranges, or moving.

If you look at the three combat example transcripts we posted, (which are here on the site and also included in the appendix of the latest update of the core combat rules), you’ll see that saving MP comes up a lot.

It all depends on your own preferred strategy though of course.

Jean Chandler
    Keymaster

Another way to look at it, in terms of tactics, it’s often better to attack after your opponent has used most or all their MP. Also, a second opponent might not be in range, or might be at long range, at the beginning of the round, but might move closer in the middle or by the end. If you have a short weapon, it’s better to attack at melee range than onset range (you’ll get a higher bonus).

Depending on the Martial Feats you have, MP could also be used to move away so as to avoid a grapple (Sidestep etc.). Which is pretty important if you are outnumbered.

DrakeTungsten
    Participant

Thank you for the thoughtful answers. I will take a look at those combat examples. I’m pretty sure I got the rules down (at least until I start taking a closer look at grapple range and feats), but I’m probably not seeing the full tactical spectrum. I haven’t actually used these rules yet, but once I feel comfortable with them, I don’t think I’m ever going to use anything but CM. Every other combat system I’ve seen seems woefully incomplete now. Now that I’m getting the full picture, I’m especially appreciating how opportunity attacks fit into the rules. I was never fully on board with the way D&D/D20/Pathfinder/whatever used opportunity attacks.

Jean Chandler
    Keymaster

Yeah the dice pool fits well with movement / attack / counterattack options in a more fluid way.

I recommend playing through a few solo combats. You can find several pre-gen characters around this site and in our modules. You should be able to play through a combat in about 10-15 minutes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.