Stainless steel in the 12th Century?

Homepage Forums History Martial Arts and Combat Stainless steel in the 12th Century?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Hans Hellinger
    Thaeris
    Participant

Not sure that amounts to “stainless,” but it is very much worth noting that the region of the world in question here has a vast and noteworthy history of fine metallurgy. This part of the world also has relatively good geographic connections to India, and that should say something all on its own.

Here’s a page from Dr. Sean Manning’s blog on a much, much earlier development in that same region regarding metal working and technical craftsmanship for reference:

A Luristan Akinakes

…Actually, if you want something much closer to “ancient stainless,” the Iron Pillar of Delhi is a much better subject in my opinion (note the distant, but plausible geographic similarity). And of course, I learned about that one from your material!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_pillar_of_Delhi

Hans Hellinger

Yes the Iron Pillar of Delhi is remarkable, though I don’t know if it has any chromium in it.

I was being a bit provocative with the ‘stainless’ comment, though the presence of chromium could actually mean something like that. I’m sure somebody knows, but I don’t know who would. Maybe Dr. Manning who is active on this forum…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.